Cluade Lyons Variac Refurbishment
Part 1 - Dismantling and initial inspection.
View this video on Youtube.
In this first video, the device is opened and the various parts are examined.
There are several immediately obvious problems, however the basic components are all present and not damaged.
- The casing is scratched and rusty so will require repainting.
- Internal wiring has been modified so the fuse is not connected.
- Handwheel is missing (removed as it was cracked).
- Top plate is worn on one side.
- Rotary shaft is not centered properly and the case is loose.
- Internally the device is filthy and will require cleaning.
When obtained, this was described as a 10A variac, however the plate states 8A.