Capacitors Destroyed

Capacitors are tiresome, unreliable electronic components probably responsible for the majority of malfunctions in consumer electronics.

The Video

View this video on Youtube.


These capacitors are all failed, having been removed from various pieces of equipment that has been repaired. most of them have voltage ratings around 16 or 25 volts.

They are connected to a pair of wires, and connected to a power supply which has an open circuit voltage of about 85 volts.

Excess voltage is the quickest way to destroy most electronic components, capacitors included.


The smoke given off during this experiment is toxic, sparks can set fire to things, and 85 volts is still capable of causing injury.

Although it may appear that the camera was close to the explosions, it was actually positioned a significant distance away behind a double protective screen, and the power was controlled remotely from inside a building.